How to Turn Off Your Computer Automatically
May 15, 2019
Many of us work late into the night at the computer or laptop, even fall asleep in front of the PC (Personal Computer) and forget to turn off the computer or laptop. This is indeed not so problematic if it occurs only once or not too often, but if this often happens every day it can damage your computer and laptop, therefore we need to activate the shutdown timer on the PC so that it can automatically shut down with our time specify.
These features or tools only exist in the Windows OS (Operating System) , but there may also be other operating systems. This timer shutdown tool we can use to turn off the computer or laptop in the time period we have set in units of seconds, so if you want to shut down your computer in the next 1 hour you have to count 60 seconds x 60 minutes.
What if we set the wrong time and want to cancel this automatic shutdown? Take it easy, we can also cancel the automatic shutdown command and set the time again. This method is more practical and simple because it does not need additional software to be installed on your PC. Well, for those who want to know how to, please read below.
1. How to Shutdown the Computer Through CMD
There are several ways you can shut down / shutdown / log off / turn off your computer or laptop, one of which is by using CMD. The trick is as follows:
1. Click the Start button
2. Type CMD then Enter
3. Then in CMD type the following command.
shutdown -f -s -t 3600
4. Then press Enter
5. A notification or notification will appear that the computer or laptop will be turned off in that period, as shown below. Please close or just ignore it.
2. How to Shutdown the Computer Through Windows Run
The method is almost the same as the first, but this way we don't need to open CMD first, we just need to press the Windows button on your keyboard and the R key simultaneously. Of course this method is more practical and easy. Just read the tutorial below:
1. Press the button or Windows + R logo simultaneously
2. Then a small box will appear as shown below
3. Enter commands like this.
shutdown -f -s -t 3600
4. Then press Enter or click OK .
3. How to cancel the shutdown command
Maybe you want to cancel the shutdown command for some reason, for example, setting the shutdown time is wrong, we can overcome this by canceling the shutdown command on the computer and rearranging the time schedule you have set. The method is as follows.
1. Please reopen CMD or Windows Run
2. Enter the following command.
3. Then press Enter or click OK .
- f is a force that functions to force out applications that are still running.
- s is the command to shutdown / turn off / logoff / turn off your computer or laptop.
- t is the timer or time specified by you.
- a is the command to cancel the shutdown command.
- 3600 is the length of time the computer / laptop is on / on, this is in units of seconds (3600 seconds: 60 seconds = 60 minutes) so that in one hour the computer / laptop will turn off or automatic shutdown.
Those are some ways to turn off the computer automatically in Windows, of course there are still other ways to automatically shutdown such as setting a turn-off schedule in the task manager but this method is more complicated than the method I wrote above.
Turning Off Your Computer Automatically on Linux
For Linux users, please try the following command in the terminal.
sudo shutdown -h +60
sudo shutdown -h 12:00
-h is the halt which functions to do the shutdown command
+60 is the time specified in minutes, meaning that the PC will automatically shutdown after 60 minutes.
12:00 is the predetermined time, this time adjusts to the time available on your PC, if the command shutdown is carried out at 10:00, then at 12:00 will automatically shutdown
Don't close / close the terminal that is running this command.